God Did Not Create Music
Saturday, April 12, 2008 (Edited 3/2/2009)
Before you label me a heretic, consider the following: God never changes, God has always been, and always will be. The Bible teaches us that this eternal, unchanging God encourages, enables, and participates in musical activity. As a matter of fact, Exodus 15:12, Psalm 118:14, and Isaiah 12:2 all tell us that the Lord is our song. Therefore, music is a part of God's eternal, unchanging character. God did not create music, He is musical. Man is musical, because man was made in God's image (Genesis 1:27).
Notice the following passages, in which we learn that all three persons of the Godhead are involved in music.
God the Father sings, according to Zephaniah 3:17:
- “The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.”
- "And the LORD shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning: and the Lord GOD shall blow the trumpet, and shall go with whirlwinds of the south.”
- “And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.”
- "Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee."
- "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
- "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord."
This is an intesting point you have made here, but you make it sound more like a theory or a hypothesis. Could you possibly back this up more? You did not explain how music is a part of God. You explained that each part of God is involved in music, but how does that prove it is part of who He is?
10/13/2008, by KC
The Unchanging God
The Bible teaching that God never changes is referred to as His "immutability." If He is musical, He always has been and always will be musical.
Here a few verses that teach this concept:
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Thanks for leaving your question. Hope that helps!
1/8/2009, by Curtis Hollembeak
did God create music?
I appreciate this article. I have been seeking out truth on this question.
11/19/2012, by Dan H
Curtis holds a bachelor's degree in Bible with a music minor, as well as a master's degree in Sacred Music, having studied under Dr. Frank Garlock, president of Majesty Music, and Ray and Ann Gibbs, well-known Christian singers. He has served as music director and jr. high/high school supervisor at Grace Baptist Church of Mankato, Minnesota; school music director at the Franklin Road Christian School in Murfreesboro, Tennessee; media engineer for the Sword of the Lord in Murfreesboro, Tennessee; and, full-time music director at Second Baptist Church and Twin City Christian Academy in Festus, Missouri. He is currently self-employed and serves in the music ministry of the Berean Baptist Church in Rockford, IL. Curtis is co-founder and President of the Asaph Music Co. He regularly sings bass with the Bible Truth Chorale on recordings produced by Bible Truth Music at Faith Music Missions.