Monday, March 22, 2010
My mother used to say, "Learning is never wasted." The point she was trying to make was, any time we have an opportunity to learn something new, we should enter into the education process with eagerness.
God wants us to be educated, knowledgeable, and wise concerning our life and our work. God puts no premium on our ignorance. We ought to be constantly striving to learn and grow, and to know more about our subject matter.
- "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels." (Proverbs 1:5)
"My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly. He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints. Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path." (Proverbs 2:1-9)
- "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man." (Luke 2:52)
- "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." (James 1:5)
- Take every available opportunity to learn more about music, so that you can better use music as a tool to serve the Lord.
- Find yourself a mentor, someone who can help you grow.
- Pray to God for wisdom.
- Read and study Bible passages that deal with the subject of music.
- Take a class or online course that will help train you in your area of ministry.
- Read good books dealing with music theory, music ministry, and music standards.
- Subscribe to Godly magazines that will help you become wise.
- Be prepared to help those who have genuine questions concerning Biblical music standards.
- "Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." (1 Peter 3:15b)
Curtis holds a bachelor's degree in Bible with a music minor, as well as a master's degree in Sacred Music, having studied under Dr. Frank Garlock, president of Majesty Music, and Ray and Ann Gibbs, well-known Christian singers. He has served as music director and jr. high/high school supervisor at Grace Baptist Church of Mankato, Minnesota; school music director at the Franklin Road Christian School in Murfreesboro, Tennessee; media engineer for the Sword of the Lord in Murfreesboro, Tennessee; and, full-time music director at Second Baptist Church and Twin City Christian Academy in Festus, Missouri. He is currently self-employed and serves in the music ministry of the Berean Baptist Church in Rockford, IL. Curtis is co-founder and President of the Asaph Music Co. He regularly sings bass with the Bible Truth Chorale on recordings produced by Bible Truth Music at Faith Music Missions.